Are you arriving in the UK sometime soon? Here is a list of things you need to do when you first arrive:
1. First thing first – get an Oyster! You need to move around and the best and cheapest way to do it on any form of public transport (tube, bus…even boat if that’s what you fancy!!) is with an Oyster in your pocket.
2. Register with the NHS (National Health Service). Students who are staying for more than 6 months are eligible for free health care in the UK. Once you’ve decided on where you are going to live whilst you are here, make sure you find a local NHS surgery and register.
3. If you have been granted working rights on your student visa, it is a good idea to apply for NIN (National Insurance Number). It will be required when you are applying for jobs in the UK. It can take a while to get NIN, so the sooner you apply the better.
4. Open a bank account in a local bank. Whenever you need a proof of address, applying for a job, or extending your visa – having your funds in a UK bank can make your life much easier.
5. Some nationalities are required to register with the police during the 7 days after arrival. Make sure you check your visa conditions to see if you are one of them.
6. A lesson learned the hard way – get your valuable things insured. Even though the UK is among the safest countries in Europe, it is still better to be safe than sorry. If you have an expensive laptop, camera, or mobile phone, make sure you get appropriate insurance early on in your stay.
7. Register with your country’s consulate or embassy in the UK. It will help your country’s authorities to keep track of their citizens overseas and help you to participate in your country’s life whilst you are abroad, like for instance, vote for a new president. Patriotism is a virtue after all!
8. As a student you are exempt from paying council tax. Make sure that as soon as you settle in one place you apply for the council tax exemption as it will save you a little fortune in the end.
We hope you liked the tips. Please, feel free to comment and share with your friends! Good luck!